Monday, October 21, 2013

TOKYO DRIFTIN'

TOKYO, JAPAN

I’ve always said that Tokyo would be the city I would move to in Asia if I had to move to a city in Asia. Well, that’s been reconfirmed. In the 4 days that I spent there, performing in Tokyo literally the moment I got off the plane to the few days in between trying to fit in as many touristy and cultural experiences as possible, I grew to love Tokyo even more. Everywhere I turn my head, I see something that spurs an inspiration. Music is played everywhere, whether it is hip-hop through to J-Pop through to classical music. Even upon arriving at a train station, there’ll be a ‘game-music-like-song’ that greets you and apparently each station has a different song according to what that area is famous for (one station has the Astroboy theme playing!).

What do I like to do as a tourist? I love to eat. I love to try something super high end, then I love to try something super down and dirty. I then want something quirky and something local. Then I love to get lost in a city – literally be thrown into an area and just explore that area because you never know what you’ll stumble into. Throw some designer shopping in terms of local designers and I’m a happy girl! With local friends, even better. I had Hiro and Nick show me around during those few days. I’m going to divide into areas that I spent time in J

Shibuya/Ebisu – Centre
Of course, this is the most famous crossing with all the neon lights and the statue of the dog that apparently back in the day, the dog would come to the station with his owner, wait at the station all day until his owner came back at the end of the day and come home with him. The people of the area got to know this dog so it was named after the dog. Anyways, walking around here, there are just awesome shops. You’ll have your cheap knock-offs, you’ll have your boutiques, plenty of hat stores, hip-hop clothing stores, urban clothing stores and branded stores like SuperDry, Bershka, Zara, Levis, UNIQLO etc.

TO EAT
Genki Sushi – you’ll have to watch my vlog for the full experience of this. Everything is basically electronic from ordering your meal to your sushi coming out at rocket speed on a monorail and sending your dish back on a monorail too! Definitely not a place that breaks the bank, dishes start at about 160 Yen, which is really like $2 a dish. Super reasonable and good sushi with a fun experience!
A lot of super cool shops including this headphones/stereo/speakers store which Nick and I spent a solid hour in I reckon. That’s one thing I’d spend money on. Good sound! J
WGT – along the train-tracks between Ebisu and Shibuya, we were walking and stumbled on a recently-opened café. Half the menu was in Japanese so we just basically did a stab in the dark as to what we wanted to eat and it all turned out pretty swell. It reminded me of Surry Hills/Alexandria quasi Kitchen by Mike with the mismatched furniture and industrial feel of the venue. They had live local music every Tuesday, which would have been cool to check out if I was around for longer.


Shopping
To be honest, I can’t remember the names of where I stepped in because I stepped into quite a few random stores but they offer SUCH a variety of things that if you love fashion like I do, you’re pretty much in heaven. Shop to your hearts content and be creative with what you want to wear, how you want to wear it and how much you want to spend as well!

Shirokane – Centre-West
This is one of Tokyo’s richest areas. A lot of nice cars driving around, you’ll spot casually a Lambo zipping around the narrow roads.

Shimbashi – East
I was staying at the Shiodome Tokyo Royal Park Hotel. This in itself is a gorgeous hotel. Its lobby is on Level 24. Why? Because they want a view to start with so why put it on street level but utilize the floors in between as office buildings and start at Level 24! BRILLIANT! Amazing views! Great staff, beautiful hotel bar, fantastic room service (p.s ordering on screens of course!)

A coffee DOES cost you $10 but most of the alcoholic drinks are fine and they do offer fine wines from Italy and France including one of my favorites, Chateuneuf-du-Pape.

Just outside the hotel is a big area for shopping along with a very large TV station is situated with a theatre showing Wicked right now!

Otomesando Hills –
Ritzy, like Paddington in Sydney. A LOT of stylish people. What I really love about Tokyo is that everyone has their own style. Not conformed to anything. Mainly late 20s to 40s shop around here! The Sartorialist would go to TOWN here. I found myself taking photos of all sorts of people.



Designer shops, not like Ginza where the super rich shop but there are all the stores like Coach, Gucci, local high end designers then the more quirky boutiques on the back streets – just like Paddington. Great restaurants, built up and modern, I had lunch here at Miyashita. GREAT Tomato juice (and I’m not even a tomato juice lover).

You’ll also see a lot of nice cars zipping around, customized like matte-black Porsches.

Roppongi
This is the party area of Tokyo. A lot of Nigerians are around trying to lure you into clubs apparently. I wasn’t in the mood for crazy clubbing but indeed, I visited bars and restaurants.
Bar Ho – listed on worldsbestbars.com , this is a whiskey bar. In the basement level of the Backborn House building, the bar is corridor sized. 


Then there's Gonpachi! The restaurant Quentin Tarantino was inspired by to make that fighting scene in Kill Bill! 



All in all, i heart Japan! I truly do! I will write more because there is so much to cover.
BIG LOVE,
V-A xoxo

And for the RIGHT NOWS:
Fav food: sashimi, yuzu mojitos!!!!
Reading: David & Goliath, Malcolm Gladwell 
Wishlist: Frends headphones
Current city: Tokyo, Japan
Listening to: Back Seat Lover, Mayer Hawthorne
Fav clothing item: Claude Maus sweater
Wearing: sally hansen pink nail polish, nicholas shorts, LF daisy top, Kenneth Cole loafers.
Next destination: Osaka, Japan

0 comments:

 

Tickling the ivories Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger