Monday, October 7, 2013

Stranded in aiports

DUBAI, UAE

So embarking on what was a 25 hour trip from Sacramento to Cochin of which was 22 hours of flying time, I knew something was going to go wrong. Traveling by myself means one large suitcase and a carry-on. I decided that because I could check both bags in, I would because Sacramento-Atlanta-Dubai-Cochin sounds exhausting as it is, let alone dragging a fairly heavy carry-on. The bags were to be checked-in direct to Cochin (woohoo!). NOT so 'woohoo' when you get to Dubai and you've missed your connecting flight. Why did i miss it? No, I was not perusing stores for souvenirs or that next handbag. The flight from Atlanta had been delayed for almost an hour because firstly, the front of the plane was flooded due to the storm then no pun intended, when it rain it pours ... a passenger fell sick so they had to be removed from the plane along with their bags they had checked in which was to be searched for in the cockpit. A VERY turbulent flight, I managed to get 8 hours of broken sleep on a 14 hour flight. Not too bad if i don't mind saying so myself, coming from a person who finds it hard to get to sleep anywhere. 

Arriving in Dubai, I had approximately 40 minutes to get off the plane and to my next flight. I literally ran a kilometre to get to the B gate, huffing and puffing, i see the horrific LED sign 'GATE CLOSED'. I begged the man at the desk and he asked me where I had come from. I couldn't even answer it. What city had i flown from? What time was it? What day was it? Finally figuring it out, i mumbled Atlanta on Delta Airlines. He looked at me and knew i wasn't lying, scanned my ticket and i saw 2 names pop up, one of which was mine. He called to the plane and they said I could get on. He asked if I had checked in bags and I said 'yes, two'. The bags weren't going to make it on time. 

Luckily for me, there was a flight leaving in 5 hours. So guess what i'm doing now? waiting for that flight and crossing all fingers and toes that my two bags get transferred to the correct new plane and arrive in Cochin with me.

Distressed would be a word that would be PERFECT in describing this situation right now. I'm just glad i took my laptop out of my carry-on or else I'd be having a heart attack right about now. 

This has only happened to me one other time and they actually delayed the ship until I got on last year in January. There is no need to delay the ship this time but BAGS, PLEASE GET THERE!

Apart from this distressing story, my performance in Sacramento was definitely memorable. The Food & Wine Society friends were a delight, with special menu created by leading chef, Matt of Supper Club Sacramento. Free flowing bubbles, reds, whites, you name it occurred throughout the night and I was surrounded by Sacramento's finest for this private event! It was my first time in Sacramento and always a nice feeling when it is a performance that brings you to a new city.

I can't wait to get back to Sacramento again. I mean, I had my first ramen in 4 years (finally found a gluten free ramen) and then ice cream and then chicken skins with batter that wasn't wheat ... WINNING! :) 

That's all from me for now though.
Very tired, puffy eyes and another 3 hours til I can board the plane. 
BIG love and grace,
Van-Anh

THE RIGHT NOWS:
Fav food: real lattes
Reading: David & Goliath, Malcolm Gladwell 
Wishlist: Kate Spade clutch ... still! that popcorn clutch is TO DIE FOR!
Current city: Dubai, UAE
Listening to: trolleys in the airport ... music wise, Lorde.
Fav clothing item: Claude Maus sweater.
Next destination: Cochin, India

Missing: my luggage ... PLEASE arrive in Cochin for me!!!!

0 comments:

 

Tickling the ivories Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger