Friday, March 6, 2009

Andre Rieu dissertation

Once again, a whirlwind of events have successively occured causing a delay in blogging. I've had a predicament which I think i've come to terms with. For anyone who knows me at all, the two words 'Andre Rieu' sends a priceless expression across my face. Some call it a love-hate relationship. Some say I wish I was Andre. Trust me, if you're doing a concert to 20,000 people, you'd be happy too.When people found out I had personally bought the Andre Rieu Autobiography, they could not understand. Honestly, I admire the guy. I wanted to know how he did it. Can't say the book told me too much but hey... At what, 57, he sold over 20 million records worldwide, was able to staple the No. 1 spot (along with multiple other places within the top 10) on Australia's Top DVD charts for weeks on end and even rallied for the re-opening of ANAM (he really earned extra brownie points in my books for doing that! :D). He owns 2 Strads, ships around a Fazioli piano to every gig of his and even has his son Piere Rieu drop his job as a lawyer to be his production manager. Jealous yet?

Sure, people can bicker all they like at how 'crass' he has made classical music...I fall into that category. I guess 'crass' may not be the word of choice, but more so downgrade it for the masses. And you know what? There is nothing wrong with that. Except maybe the horrid wigs and fru-fru dresses which he has his orchestra wear. That's a little OTT. But hey! It works! The old men and ladies love it.

In my dealings with various artists, students, music lovers and of course musicians themselves of all ages, shapes and sizes, I really believe that Andre has opened up the doors of the forbidden and pedestaled classical music to the masses. Classical music is a dying artform and at least he is doing his bit to make sure people are appreciating it.
Through my collaborations with Thanh Bui over the last gig, I've found the niche of mixing the classical and pop genres can be tastefully done. I know, I know, you'd probably be telling me Chopin is tossing in his grave if he ever heard his Revolutionary Etude mashed up with One Republic's Apologise but we live in the 21st Century people! Be open!

After all, music brings joy. It brings people together. It breaks down the barriers of words and through sounds and rhythms, connects one another and sends you into oblivion...a suspended world of bliss. Music makes people feel and sparks emotions. For every song, I'm sure there will be a memory attached to it.

What I believe even more strongly is right in the famous quote by Maurice Ravel ..'one must not forget that it is sensitiveness and emotions which makes the music..'. I believe this with all of my heart and put my heart and soul into absolutely every piece I play. Whether it is a Mozart Sonata or Michael Jackson's Billie Jean, I bear all, making myself ultimately vulnerable for the audience to experience exactly what I experience.

I think I've come to a happy conclusion that what Andre is doing is completely fine. If not, I aspire to do something similar. In my own little way...but I will make sure that Classical music will remain alive.

0 comments:

 

Tickling the ivories Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger