Wednesday, March 20, 2013

INDONESIA: The 15 year old Sultan



BELEWAN, MEDAN, INDONESIA

In my travels over the past few years, I've been able to see many different parts of Indonesia. Bali is of course one of my favourite places in the world but we must not forget that Indonesia consists of over 10,000 islands. With different dialects, religion and varying cities, I've been able to experience places like Semarang, Bali, Central Java and today, Medan, the capital of North Sumatra. 

Having been focusing on my shows, I didn't have much time to research on what it was that was the 'must-dos' in Medan so found a private car and off I went. Driving for about 40 minutes to get into Medan, parts of it reminded me of Vietnam. Motorbikes, scooters, tuk-tuk type rickshaws.
colorful rickshaws
Large buildings were being built and I could see this city being at a stage of real development. We drove past a rather large Buddhist temple and I also saw a few Catholic churches.

The first stop was the Otteman Deli Palace, also known as the Yellow Palace. The grounds of the palace was quite impressive. The interior had definitely eroded a little but I was able to get a feel of what the Sultan had lived in. Entry into the Palace was 5000 Rupees, technically 50c Australian but ended up just giving them $1USD. 




Across the road was the famous Medan Mosque. Entry was also $1USD and we were given head shawls and fabric to cover our skin. Now, I'm quite unfamiliar with the religion and was lucky enough to have a local by the name of Edy walk me around and explain a few things about the prayer services, how everyone had to pray 5 times a day, the washing of hands, feet and body parts three times over before entering the mosque to pray.





with Richard Griffin, another entertainer.

one of my favourites ... little kid telling the students in white to go wash themselves :)

surrounding the mosque were mango trees along with frangipanis and curry plants.

curry plant

The architecture of this mosque was designed by a Dutchman with window panes from China. He explained that if women had their period, they did not have to fast during Ramadan but would make it up afterwards. There were specific prayer days for men, being Friday. 

He also spoke about the Sultan and how when he died in 2005, he was buried by the mosque within 24 hours. He was appointed Sultan after his father died and also due to his military affiliations however when he passed away at aged 37, his son of 8 years of age was appointed as Sultan. Could you believe that? An 8 year old as the Sultan. The child is now 15. I just couldn't fathom that. How many advisors would you have to have? Would it be fun to nod and shake your head at things which you probably don't even understand? What about a childhood? or lack of?

He walked us around the mosque and then into the graveyard where the Sultan was buried. All the other previous Sultans were buried there too, along with their wives. It was kind of surreal to know that these people ruled the country and were actually right here. Polygamy is allowed (which surprised me). 

Local students were filing in to pray and ran up to us wanting photographs with us. To my surprise, they all had mobile phones of varying brands.

The final stop was the batik and textiles market. The traditional dresses were very much like saris and vietnamese 'ao dai' with some amazing patterns and vibrant colored fabrics. 





The day was really insightful and I learnt a lot about the culture and religion of the place. The place was quite dusty and I was ready to go back and have a shower. 

The next stop is Pulau Weh, a diving hotspot which excites me!

For now, love and light,
Van-Anh xxx

And for the RIGHT NOWs:
Favourite Food: Duck L'orange
Reading: Blink.
Wishlist: to fly my friends in Sydney to the Maldives with me in July this year.
Current city: Belewan, en route Pulau Weh.
Listening to: CNN!
Favourite clothing item: high waisted shorts.
Missing: a companion.

0 comments:

 

Tickling the ivories Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger